Contribute Your Photos to the Yearbook
Do you have photos of the Book Fair, Reading Carnival or Turkey Bowl for the ATS Yearbook? If so please
and enter the ATS Access Code:
Kindergarten Potluck & Parent Information Night – Thursday, January 18, 6-8 PM
Kindergarten parents, following a pot luck dinner, you’ll head to your child’s classroom to learn about the curriculum for the rest of the school year.
APS Rising Kindergarten Information Night
Parents of rising kindergarteners, join APS for Kindergarten Information Night on Monday, January 22, 2018 from 7-9 PM at Washington-Lee High School, 1301 N. Stafford St. The snow date is Monday, January 29.
ATS PTA International Night – Saturday, February 10, 5–7 PM
International Night provides a great opportunity to celebrate the broad diversity of ATS by highlighting the many different cultures that our student body represents. We welcome and encourage all ATS families to join in this informative and fun event to sample fabulous foods from around the world, enjoy multicultural entertainment, and participate in international crafts and cultural activities.
How can you get involved? To make this evening a success we will need:
- Ambassadors: Represent a country by bringing food samplings and other cultural information specific to that country (books, trinkets, heritage items, etc.). Costs for food preparation are reimbursed up to $40 per country.
- Volunteers: Help with set-up, registration, clean-up, and other activities.
- Participants: Enjoy this fun cultural extravaganza! Please let us know if you are coming in advance. In lieu of selling individual tickets, we are asking for a suggested family donation of $10-$15. Feel free to send the donation in with your registration or contribute at the door.
To become an Ambassador or a Volunteer and to RSVP, please fill out the yellow form that came home in Friday Folders.
ATS PTA Auction Committee Kick Off – Wednesday, January 24, 6 PM
The ATS PTA Auction co-chairs would like to invite anyone interested in contributing to the PTA’s biggest fundraising effort of the year to the volunteer kickoff meeting on Wednesday January 24 at 3718 4th St N. from 6-7:30. Light refreshments and wine will be on hand, so please
so they have enough. This is a great opportunity for anyone with a desire to support the auction and the PTA. There are lots of ways to help that will fit into any schedule – day time availability, night time availability, phone time, walking and driving around Arlington, etc. It’s fun for a great cause!
SAVE THE DATE! ATS PTA Auction – Saturday, May 5
Save the date for the ATS PTA Auction, a fantastic evening that includes food, music, and dancing. Past auction items have included:
- One-of-a-kind experiences and artwork (Principal for the Day, Ride to School with the ACPD, Front row tickets for 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony, and your own Parking spot).
- Parent nights out (restaurant gift certificates, wine tastings, game nights, themed dinners).
- Gift certificates for camps, kid activities, and loads of local shops.
- Wine raffle.
- Vacation properties.
This year’s theme is
Come Sail Away
. Resort/cruise wear is welcome!
Do you want to get involved? We need volunteers to reach out to the local community for donations, pick up items, decorate, and clean up. The Auction Committee will officially kick off in January. If you are interested, or if you have items to donate, contact
Emily Glendinning and Krista Maizel
Spring Parent/Teacher Conference Coordinator Needed
The PTA will be hosting a snack bag and catered lunch for our teachers and staff during the Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences on March 1-2. We will provide snack bags on Thursday and a catered lunch on Friday. We need 1-2 volunteers willing to coordinate the lunches. If interested, please contact
Playground Committee Volunteers Needed
ATS is slated to get 2 new playgrounds this year! If you’d like to be a part of the committee to help select the new equipment and design, please e-mail
by this Friday, January 19 with your name, phone #, and e-mail. The committee will have several focused in person and phone-based meetings during the months of January and February. Expected total time commitment = 10 hours spread over 2 months.
Substitute Teacher Applications
Do you want to get more involved at ATS as a substitute teacher?
can be filled out online. For consideration you will need:
- A copy of college transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Two letters of recommendation signed and dated within the past 12 months. One must be from someone who has recently supervised your work.
Support ATS While You Shop
Did you know you can earn $$ to support ATS when you get groceries and shop on Amazon?
- Amazon: If you fill your Amazon cart with the app or website or any other way you normally shop, when you’re ready to checkout go to smile.amazon.com. You can designate Arlington Traditional Elementary PTA as the beneficiary, and we get .5% of your eligible purchase donated directly! Shop as you normally do, just use the smile site to checkout.
- Giant: Link your card at Giant with code 02190 for ATS. You only need to register once.
- Harris Teeter: Link your card at Harris Teeter with code 4378 for ATS. You must renew each year. You can link your card online or at your store’s customer service department. ATS PTA can also renew your link if you e-mail your card number, name, address, and phone number associated with your card to Rebecca Ely.
- Silver Diner: By joining Silver Diner’s Eat Well, Do Well Club and choosing ATS as your school of choice, ATS will earn $. You can create an account by clicking here and selecting Create New Account. Once your account is created, click to link to a school.
Keep Saving Box Tops!
Our renewed energy for Box Tops was a success! We earned over $1,000 for our teachers during our October collection. That’s more than we collected all year last year! Let’s keep the momentum going and keep clipping those Box Tops – we’ll have another collection in February. Let’s try to earn more than in October!
Middle School Boundaries and Transfers
At its December 14 meeting, the School Board approved middle school boundary adjustments to relieve crowding and better balance enrollment across all middle schools. These boundary adjustments will be effective for students in grades 6, 7, and 8 beginning in September 2019 when the new middle school at the Stratford site opens. Families of students affected by the new middle school boundaries will receive notification in the mail by February 2018.
APS will be able to accept a limited number of middle school transfers for the 2018-19 school year at the following middle schools:
- Jefferson Middle School
- Kenmore Middle School
Transportation will be provided to students who are accepted to either school.
There will be no neighborhood transfers to Gunston, Swanson or Williamsburg middle schools. Please Note: Gunston will continue to accept current APS students who wish to continue in the middle school immersion or Montessori options at Gunston through the “Intent to Return” form available from the elementary school counselors. Students new to Arlington who are interested in those programs should apply using the
Middle School Options Application Form
The deadline to submit the online
Middle School Transfer Application Form
for a neighborhood transfer to Jefferson or Kenmore has been extended to Friday, January 26. Applications for H-B Woodlawn are still due on Friday, January 19.
APS Seeks Community Input for 2018-24 Strategic Plan
A Steering Committee comprised of parents, students, staff, and community members is working with APS to develop the 2018-24 Strategic Plan. Community input is vital to chart a course for the future of students, staff, and APS as a whole. The Committee and staff have worked to draft potential options for an APS mission and vision statement as well as a set of core values. Community input is needed to help further refine and advance this work. Please review the potential options and provide your feedback using a brief
available January 5-19.
Want to improve children’s behavior and strengthen family bonds?
Strengthening Families Program at Campbell ES – Free program for Arlington County 1st-3rd graders and their families to work together over 14 weeks on communication skills and stress management. Parents gain techniques in effective discipline, giving clear directions, and organizing the family. Students learn to resist peer pressure, understand consequences, and solve problems constructively. Sessions are highly interactive and include role-playing, discussions, learning games, and family projects.
Class for 1st-3rd grade children and their parents is on Thursday nights from February 1 – May 17 from 6:00-8:15 PM at Campbell elementary school. Dinner and childcare are included. Classes are in English and Spanish.
¿Quieren mejorar el comportamiento de sus hijos y fortalecer el vínculo familiar?
El Programa Fortaleciendo la Familia en Campbell ES – Es un programa gratuito para las familias de Arlington con estudiantes en 1o-3o grado en el que todos trabajan juntos para mejorar la comunicación entre padres e hijos y manejar el estrés. Los padres adquieren técnicas para disciplinar eficazmente, dar indicaciones claras, y organizar la familia. Los jóvenes aprenden habilidades para resistir la presión social, comprender las consecuencias, y resolver problemas de forma constructiva. El taller es interactivo e incluye juegos de roles, discusiones, juegos de aprendizaje y proyectos familiares.
Las clases para los niños y sus padres son los jueves, del 1 de febrero hasta el 17 de mayo, a las 6:00-8:15 pm en Campbell ES. Se incluye gratis la cena y el cuido de niños menores. Se ofrece clases en español e inglés.